A little bit about me...

I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Elementary Education/Special Education. This is a dream that I have had for a long time. I love children, and I love working with them. My grandfather was a college professor, my aunt is a teacher, and I have several cousins that are teachers and professors as well. I guess some may think that it may be in my "blood" to be a teacher, and maybe it is. I would like to teach the younger kids from kindergarten through second grade.
My experience in teaching, I would have to say comes from teaching dance. I started dancing at the age of 2, and began teaching dance when I was a teenager. I am now the dance coach at St. Luke's Middle and High School. I teach ballet and Zumba to little kids at the YMCA and Zumba here at South.



My Teaching Philosophy

I believe that when you are a teacher, you need to make yourself different from all of the other teachers. One way that this can be done is by your teaching philosophy. Teachers are continually learning, and you should use that continuous knowledge to teach something new. Respect is another concept that should be brought in the classroom. The students should be respected along with the teacher. Communication is also a big concept in teaching. You must be able to communicate and communicate well. This leads into another concept - honesty. You have to always be honest - whether it is to a student, parent, fellow teachers, and administrators. Positive reinforcement is also a big concept that needs to be used all of the time in the classroom. If a student is wrong, you need to say "Good try, but that's not the answer I am looking for" and not just say "NO!". I want to keep the curriculum fun and interesting too. Students will get bored if the class is not interesting, so I want the students to be engaged. I will add technology to help me with that interest. Last but not least, we are teachers. We must enjoy our job; if not we hurt not only ourselves but our students, parents, and fellow teachers.